The Woburn Sands and Aspley Heath sections from Kellys Trade Directory of 1894:

WOBURN SANDS is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1867 and comprising Aspley Heath and parts of the parish of Aspley Guise and Wavendon, the two former being in the Southern division of the county, petty sessional division and union of Woburn, county court district of Leighton Buzzard, of Newport Pagnell, and county of Bucks. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford, 4 miles east from Bletchley, 2½ north-west from Woburn and 50 miles from London: it is 44 miles from London by road, and in the rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Michael at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of chancel, nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A.R.A., F.S.A. at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was extended and new chancel and nave built on the north side, and transepts and vestries were also added; an oak pulpit with stone base has been presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Mrs. F. A. Stuart, in memory of Mrs. Nicholson. The stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart. The church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £160, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford, and held since 1884 by the Rev. Edward Henry Mosse M.A. of Christ’s College, Cambridge. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Particular Baptist chapels, and a Friends’ meeting house. The Village Institute, built in 1874, at a cost of about £800, stands near the centre of the parish; it has a library of upwards of 700 volumes, and is used for concerts and other village purposes. The Parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods.  Edgebury is the residence of Alfred Allnutt esq. and Sandy Mount House is the residence of Charles Pole Stuart esq. J. P. The principal landowners are the Duke of Bedford, C. Ridgway esq. and Alfred Allnutt esq. The area is 1,400 acres, including 577 acres for Aspley Heath, the rateable value of which is £2,001; about 450 acres is woodland; the population in 1891 was 1,506, of which 752 are in Bucks.

Parish Clerk, Henry Hebbes.

Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Woburn Sands – John Pikesley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Bletchley Station direct at 4.50 a.m. 12.15 & 4.45 p.m.; dispatched at 12.15, 8.0 & 10.0 p.m.; parcel mail, 12.15., 5.40 & 8 p.m

Wall letter boxes, Station Road, cleared at 11.40 a.m. 4.30 & 7.40 p.m.; Sundays, 5.15 p.m. Aspley Heath, cleared at 11.20 a.m. 4.10 & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 5.0 p.m

A School Board of 5 members was formed July 25, 1885, for Aspley Heath & subsequently representatives of the contributory districts of Aspley Guise & Wavendon (Bucks) were added, the former sending two & the latter four members; James Francis Smith, 4 Bedford street, Woburn, clerk to the board; Robert Harrison, attendant officer Board School (mixed & infants), erected in 1868, at the cost of the Duke of Bedford, for 240 children; average attendance, 220. In 1889 a new infants’ school, adjoining the old buildings, was built at the cost of Francis, Duke of Bedford K.G. for 100 children; Frederick George Sharp master; Miss H. Cheetham, infants’ mistress.

Railway Station, John Sail Barratt, station master

Carriers to: Bedford – Thomas Clarke, sat; Newport Pagnell – Thomas Clarke tues. & fri; Leighton Buzzard – Joseph Rice, tues

Woburn Sands

Private Residents
James Aikenhead, Sydney Cottage
Baker, Mrs
James Warner Barton
William Bazley, Harefield Cottage
George Richie Bermingham, Athenry
Bermingham Mrs. Athenry
Bosworth Mrs., Trelawn
Breckwood Miss
Boston, Miss, Woodside Cottage
Cautley, Miss, Hillside
James P. Chapman
Davis, Mrs
Denison Mrs., Hardwick
Frederick William Down, Haydon House
Farmer, Mrs
Charles. M. Featherstonhaugh, Prospect Villa
George Freeman, Wroxhill
Garratt, Miss, Ivy Lawn
John Giles
Frederick Goodhall
J. Wright Grant, Woodfield
Green, Mrs., The Laurels
Harbert, Miss
Hamilton, Mrs., Westbury Leigh
Rev. Frederick Harper [Primitive Methodist]
Holcroft, Mrs
Horton, Mrs., Ferndale
Jackson, Mrs
Rev. William Matthews Lethbridge B. A., Hillside
Loke, Miss
Macdonald, Mrs
Charles Mann, Lime Villas
Thomas Marshall, Belle Vue
Edward George Miller, Holmdale
Morrison, Mrs., Esperanza
Moore, Mrs
Rev. Edward Henry Mosse M. A. [vicar]
William Needham, Claremont House
Thomas Newitt
Newman, Mrs
Pain, Mrs., Woodlands
Payne, Mrs., Glengyle
Pearce, Miss, Fair View
Platt, Miss, Dunsprings
William Platt, The Shrubbery
John Reed, Linslade Villa
Roberts, Mrs
Edward Roe
Frederick G. Sharp
Steele, Miss
Charles Pole Stuart J. P., Sandy Mount House
Summerley, Mrs
Swabey, Mrs. Woodcote
Valler, Mrs., St. Denys
Whilkin, Miss
Whitbread, Mrs. Rose Cottage
White, Miss
Whitman, Mrs., Lime Villas
Wilkinson, Miss
Rev. Charles Wolmer [Wesleyan]

Local bottles can still be found
The Down and Needham story is available elsewhere on this site

William Adkins, carter
Gibson Andrews, ironmonger
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Cottage Garden Society (E. G. Miller, secretary)
Avenue Brick & Tile & General Building Works (Jabez Whiting, proprietor), brick & tile manufacturer, builder, contractor & undertaker
Walter Bailey, cab proprietor
Robert Bailey, Weathercock Public House & farmer
George Henry Bizzell, bookseller & photographer
Edward Boyes, draper & clothier
British Fullers’ Earth Co.  (A. J. G. Swinney, proprietor)
Edward Brown, dairyman
Ernest Bull, Swan commercial hotel
William Charles Byway, picture frame maker
James Page Chapman, attendance officer for Aspley Guise school board
Robert A. Cheetham, photographer
Thomas Chisnall, plumber & glazier
Thomas Clarke, carrier
William George Cooper, cattle dealer
George Day, boot & shoe maker
Dexter & Co., timber merchants
George Dolton, builder
Down & Co., proprietors of the “Farmers’ Friend,” for Prevention of Smut in Wheat; of “Melville’s Veterinary Preparations.”
Down & Needham, maltsters & corn merchants
John Driscoll, plasterer
Charles Dudley, brick & tile manufacturer
Jane Durrant (Miss), dress maker
Arthur Ellingham, hair dresser
Joseph Elliott, draper & clothier
George Elmore, skin dealer
Joshua Emms, watch & clock maker & jeweller &c
Annie Farmer (Mrs.), lodging house
Charles Featherstonhaugh, rope maker
James Foster, shopkeeper
Charles Freeman, confectioner & upholsterer
John Giles, junior, lath render
Henry Deacon Godfrey, dentist & chemist
J. Wright Grant, M.B.C.M. surgeon & physician;  medical officer & public vaccinator,  Aspley & Woburn districts, Woburn union
Samuel Hack, shopkeeper
Thomas Hall, land & estate agent
David Hallworth, boot & shoe maker
David Hammond, saddler & harness maker
John Harris, coach builder
Robert Harrison, attendance officer for Aspley Heath school board
Alfred Hopkins, baker
Alwyn Edward. A. Hudson, plumber. & decorator
Henry Inwood, tailor & outfitter
Mary Ann Inwood (Mrs.), lodging house
Mary Jackson (Miss), draper
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
Marianne Kent (Miss), draper & milliner
Eliza King (Mrs.), dressmaker
Frederick James Lane, stationer
John T. Luttman, Station Hotel & post house
William Mabley, lath render
Edward George Miller, printer & bookbinder
Mary Moore, Mrs., boot & shoe maker
William Needham, maltster, see Down & Needham
George Newling, grocer
John Negus, grocer & provision dealer, agent for W. & A. Gilbey Limited, wine & spirit merchants
Ann Paternoster (Mrs.), grocer
P. Phipps & Co. Limited, brewers & wine & spirit merchants
John Pikesley, stationer, Post Office
George E. Popple, ironmonger
William Poole, joiner & builder
Walter Pratt, butcher
Joseph Rice, blacksmith & carrier
Archer G. Samm, chemist
Alfred Smith, horse dealer & farmer, & brick & tile manufacturer
Charlotte Smith (Miss), dress maker
Albert Smith, plumber & glazier
George Smith, rag dealer
William Smith, carter
George Spreckley, tailor
Edwin Spring, builder & joiner
Frederick John Steers, butcher
Henry Summerley, cooper
George Tansley, grocer
Annie Tomlin (Mrs.), lodging house
Thomas Tompkins, coal &c merchant
Emma Turney (Miss), stationer & fancy repository
Caroline White (Miss), dressmaker
Richard E. Whitlock, chimney sweeper
William Whitlock, chimney sweeper
Maria Wickman (Mrs.), apartments
George Willison, baker & confectioner
Frederick Wingrave, grocer,& agent for W. & A. Gilbey Limited, wine & spirit merchants
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (E. G. Miller, secretary)
Woburn Sands Social Club, (W. H. Bazeley, secretary)
Woburn Sands Village Institute & Reading Room (Edward George Miller, secretary)
Thomas Wodhams, coal & corn merchant
James Wright, draper & boot dealer
George William Young, builder

Looking across the Square
The High Street, in the early 20th century

Aspley Heath

Private Residents
Alfred Allnutt, Edgebury
Rev. Canon James Lufton Bartlet M. A., Denston
Captain Bevan
Bolton Loraine Eustace, Glenside
Cox, Mrs. Croyland
Charles Cranmer, The Mount
Rev. Edward Francis Miller, M. A. The Knoll
John Elliot Page, Heather Bank
Plater, Miss, Goyndon
Frederick Sharp
Skottowe, Mrs., Holmwood
Summers, Mrs,
Alfred G Swinney, Montrose Villa

Noah Ambrose, beer retailer
Thomas James Clark, basket maker
Robert Sim Eveleigh, accountant
Fullers’ Earth Mining Company Limited (The) (John Poyser, managing-director), highest awards at Chicago Exhibition, Nov.1893. Specialities, lump earth for woollen manufacturers &c. Powdered earth as used in the United States of America for refining oil, lard &c.; specially selected fullers’ earth for the toilet & nursery, packed in beautifully designed boxes; works, mines & offices,  Woburn Sands, Bletchley
Jane Paternoster (Mrs.), shopkeeper


Page last updated Dec. 2018.