The Woburn Sands, Aspley Heath & Aspley Guise sections from Kellys Trade Directory of 1914

Woburn Sands
Woburn Sands, which is on the Bucks border and on the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell, in an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1867, and comprises the civil parish of Aspley Heath and part of the parish of Aspley Guise. By Local Government Board Order, dated 27 the December, 1906, that part of Wavendon formerly in this parish was detached from it. The parish is in the Southern division of the county, Woburn petty sessional division, Ampthill union, Leighton Buzzard county court district, in the rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley, 2½ north-west from Woburn and 50 from London; it in 44 miles from London by road.  Water and sewage works at Aspley Guise were opened on June 8th, 1911, by the Duke of Bedford K. G. The new reservoir at Bow Brickhill Heath will hold 380,000 gallons of water. The church of St. Michael, at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of chancel, nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged, from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A.H.A., F.S.A. at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was extended and new chancel and nave built on the north side, and transepts and vestries were also added: an oak pulpit with stone base has been presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos, designed by Sir Arthur BlumfieId A. R. A. was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. and E. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £166, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford K. G. and held since 1914 by the Rev. John Shelton. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels and a Friends’ meeting house. The Village Institute, built in 1874 at a cost of about £800, stands near the centre of the parish; it has a library of upwards of 800 volumes, and is used for concerts and other village purposes. Six almshouses were erected by the late Frederick W. Down in 1902 for aged people of the parish. A Training Home for ten girls was established in 1891, in the parish of Aspley Heath, as a branch from the Girls’ Training Home at Bedford. The Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives was opened on June 25th, 1903, and is pleasantly situated in the parish of Aspley Heath. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. Edgebury is the residence of Alfred Allnult esq. The principal landowners are the Duke of Bedford K. G., C. Ridgway esq. and Alfred Allnutt esq. The area is 1,400 acres, including 600 acres for Aspley Heath; about 450 acres is woodland; rateable value, £5,990; the population in 1911 was 1,867, which extends into Bucks.

Aspley Heath is a civil parish, formed by Local Government Board Order 15,338, dated 24 June, 1883. Bv Order 18,187, dated March 25, 1885, part of Wavendon, in Bucks, was added to it. The area is 600 acres; rateable value, £2,583; the population in 1911 was 572, including 33 in the Daneswood Sanatorium.

Parish Clerk, Henry Hebbes.

Post, M. 0. & T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Oflice, Woburn Sands (letters should have Beds added).

John Pikesley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 4.15 a.m. & 12.10 & 4.45 p.m.; delivered at 7 & 10.30 ,p.m. & 12.35 & 5 p.m.; dispatched at 10.15 a.m. & 2.20, 3, 5.45, 8 & 10 p.m.; parcel mai. 10.15 a.m. & 12.15, 3, 5.45 & 8 p.m.; Sundays, office open from 8.30 to 10 a.m.; the box is cleared at 7.25 p.m

Wall Letter Boxes.- North End, cleared at 7.35 a.m. & 12.5, 1 & 7.40 p.m.; Sundays, 11.40 a.m.; Aspley Heath (near church), cleared at 10 a.m. & 1 & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 5 p.m.; Church wall, cleared at 10.5 a.m. & 1 & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 5 p.m.; Daneswood cleared 8 a.m. & 1.5 & 7.20 p.m.; Sunday, 4.50 p.m.; The Leys, cleared at 10 a.m. & 1.30 & 7.30 p.m.; Theydon Avenue, cleared 10.15 a.m. & 1.15 & 7.40 p.m. sunday, 5.15 p.m.

Council School (mixed & infants), erected in 1868 at the cost of the 9th, Duke of Bedford, for 260 children. In 1889 a new infants’ school, adjoining the old buildings, was built at the cost of Francis. Duke of Bedford K. G. for 120 children. The mixed school was in 1897 at a cost of £1,110; the schools now hold 500 children; Frederick George Sharp, head master, Miss H. Cheetham, infants’ mistress. Also an Intermediate Evening school, held from September to April, & is now (1914) being attended by about [???] students: George Owen Pilkington, principal.

Railway Station, William Voss Clarke, station

Carriers to:- Bedford – Harry Barker, wed. & sat; Newport Pagnell – Harry Barker, tues. & fri; Leighton Buzzard – Charles Gooding, tues. & fri.

Woburn Sands

Private Residents

William Henry Bazley, Ashfield
Arthur Boyes, Theydon Lodge
Robert Lewis Brander M. B. Woodfield
Burney, Miss, Eaton Lodge
Cautley, Miss, Oakley
Chapman, Mrs., Theydon Avenue
Robert A. Cheetham, Stoke Albany
John Coles, Theydon Avenue
Condon, Mrs., Avenue Lodge
Edward Creasy J. P., The Cedars
Frederick Harris Day, Aspley Villa
De Mowbray, Mrs., Athenry
Drake, Mrs., St. Leonard’s Cottage
Charles M. Featherstonhaugh, Prospect Villa
John Henry Robinson Fletcher, Sandymount
Herman Gaskoin, Mrs., Greenwood Cottage
Henry Edward Grace, Theydon Avenue
E. Avling Green, Lyncroft
Green, Miss, The Laurels, Station Road
Albert Hardy, St. Deny’s
Harmer, Misses
James Hunt Hickin, Wood View
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D
Thomas Hudson, Fairleigh
Irving, Miss, Hardwicke Road
Hugh John Jackson, Theydon Avenue
Jackson, Miss Marshall, Eastcote
Lakin, Miss, Athenry
William Liddell, Heatherlea
Linnell, Mrs. Woodford
Moore, Mrs. Clifton Villa
Charles Mould, Sarum
Charles Mountfort
Arthur Holme Mowbray, Hardwicke House
Richard Mytton, The Dene
William Needham, Haydon House
Obbard, Mrs., Dengarth
Pain, Miss, Woodlands
Payne, Mrs., Glengyle
Perkins, Mrs., Wroxhill
Rawes, Mrs., Hardwicke
Reed, Mrs., Ashleigh
Sergeant, Mrs., The Terrace
Rev. John Shelton (vicar), Vicarage
George Spreckley, Station Road
Walter B. Stonebridge, Stourhead Lodge
Richard Temple Swift, Claremont
John Charles Tarver, Brookside, Theydon Avenue
Kevin Thornhill, Mrs.
Frederick Tomlin, Fern Villa, Theydon Avenue
Tuck, Miss, North Holt
Webb, Miss, Elm Lodge
Thomas William Wingrave, Bickenhall
Wilson, Mrs. Ferndale

Henry VIIth Lodge, Woburn Road
The Henry VII Lodge. Postcard from 1914

Commercial Early closing day, Wednesday 1p.m.
George Alexander, Fir Tree Hotel
Noah Ambrose, shopkeeper
Albert Arlidge, shopkeeper, Station Road
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Golf Club Ltd. (The) (W. B. Stonebridge, secretary)
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Rose & Sweet Pea Society (Charles Mould, secretary)
Walter Bailey, Station Hotel
Barclay & Company Ltd, bankers (sub-branch), open on monday & friday 10.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.; draw on head office, 54 Lombard street E. C.
Harry Barker, carrier
John G. Barton, coal & corn merchant
Gertrude Bass (Miss), milliner, Russell Street
Ernest Frank Bathurst, chemist, High Street
Thomas Bawden, auctioneer &c, see Foll & Bawden
William Henry Bazley, junior Assistant overseer; office, High Street
Benskin’s Watford Brewery Limited (branch), brewers
Wilkie Bliss, coal merchant Railway Station
Thomas Henry Brill, dairy, Station Road
Robert Lewis Brander, M. B., C. M. Aberdeen, physician & surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator Aspley & Woburn districts, Ampthill union & certifying factory surgeon, Woodfield
William Charles Byway, picture frame maker
A. Cattell, boot & shoe maker
Robert A. Cheetham, photographer, Station Road
Walter Chibnall (Mrs.), upholstress Aspley Road
G. B. Clarke, manufacturer of D. Clarkes carbolized wheat protector
William Voss Clarke, station master
Agnes Mary Coleman (Miss), confectioner
George Collin, tailor, High Street
Alice Collins (Miss), news agent
E. Collins (Miss), shopkeeper, 4 The Leys
William George Cooper, dairyman, Theydon Avenue
Sidney Crawley, butcher, Station Road
George Darby, baker
Oliver Davis, shopkeeper, Station Road
Walter George Day, tailor, Chapel Street
Reginald Herbert Dennis, cycle agent, Station Road
Ellen Dovey (Mrs.), fancy repository
Erasmus George Dovey, watch & clock maker, see Emms & Dovey
Frederick Down, wheat protector manufacturer
Dudeney & Johnston Limited, grocers & provision merchants
Dudley & Sons, brick & tile manufacturers
Albert Dunkley, grocer
Jane Durrant (Miss), dress maker
Eastman’s Limited, butchers
Eastwood & Co., Limited, brick works
Wilfred Edgington, fishmonger, see Wooding & Edgington
Olive Ellingham (Miss) A. T. C. L. teacher of music, Sunnyside
William Henry Elliott, grocer
Emms & Dovey, watch & clock makers
Annie Farmer (Mrs.), apartments, The Terrace
Foll & Bawden, auctioneers, estate agents, surveyors & valuers (Telegrams, “Foll”); & at Bletchley, Newport Pagnell & Olney
Wallace Arthur Foll, P. A. S. I. auctioneer &c., see Foll & Bawden
Charles Franklin, coal merchant, Station Road
John Gardner, boot & shoe maker Aspley Hill
Henry Giles & Son, lath renders
Charles Gooding, carrier & shopkeeper
Thomas Hugh Gregory, carpenter
David Hallworth, boot & shoe maker
Thomas Hallworth, boot maker, Hardwicke Place
David Hammond, saddler & harness maker
Alfred Hanscombe, jobbing gardener, Russell Villas
William Harrington, draper
Samuel William Hawkes, Weathercock Inn
Henry Hayter, apartments, Harefield Cottage
David Henman, decorator, Aspley Hill
Holmes & Smith, surgeons
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D., C. M. Edinburgh, Surgeon & medical officer No. 8 district. Newport Pagnell union (firm, Holmes & Smith) & at Woburn
Sarah Ann Homans (Mrs.), greengrocer
William Henry Inwood, tailor & outfitter
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
William Janes, watch maker, Station Road
William Kent, builder, Aspley Hill
Edward Last, coach builder, Russell Street
Elizabeth Linnell (Mrs.), laundress, Haddon House
London County & Westminster Limited (sub-branch), open mondays & fridays 10.30 a.m. 1p.m. (J. H. T. Chick, manager. Draw on 21 Lombard Street, London
James McMurtrie, house furnisher
Miller & Son, printers & bookbinders
Moore & Co., boot & shoe makers & milliners
National Deposit (Approved) Friendly Society (W. H. Beavis, secretary)
Harriet Newling (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Horace Bernard Partridge, baker
Nellie Paternoster (Miss), dressmaker, Aspley Road
Alfred Payne, apartments. Russell Villas
Fred Pikesley, motor engineer, High Street
John Pikesley, stationer, Post office
George Frederick Pitt, hair dresser, Station Road
Thomas Poland, apartments, Merton House
George E. Popple, ironmonger
John Walter Pratt, butcher
James Reed, hair dresser, High Street
Rice Brothers, blacksmiths & jobmasters
Albert Russ, china dealer, Aspley Road
Maria Russell (Mrs.), apartments, Aspley Road
Caroline Sadd (Miss), milliner, Station Road
Henry C. H. Sanders, Swan Hotel
Joseph Scrivener John, cycle maker
Henry Sear, coal merchant, Wood Street
Joseph Slapoffski, photographer, Hardwicke Place
W. H. Smith & Son, news agent
Charles Charnock Smith, M. R. C., L. R. C. P., J. P. surgeon (firm, Holmes & Smith)
Charlotte Smith (Miss), apartments, 2 The Terrace
George Thomas Smith, boot & shoe repairer, Aspley Hill
South Bedfordshire Branch of the R. S. P. C. A. (Woburn Sands branch) (Miss M. Gaskoin, Honourary Secretary, Greenwood cottage
Edward Squire, cabinet maker, Russell Street
Walter B. Stonebridge, M. L. R. I. B. A. architect
George Tansley, glass & china dealer
Thomas William Tansley, grocer
Mary Ann Thompson (Miss) apartments
Annie Tomlin (Mrs.), apartments
Thomas Tompkins, coal, corn forage merchant, & at Woburn & Ridgmont
William Brown Toogood, general draper
Ethel Turney (Mrs.), grocer
Albert Edward Tyers, plumber, Wood Street
Mary Wells, (Mrs.), confectioner
Walter Whitlock, chimney sweeper
Charles S. Whitmee, dairyman, Wood Street
George Wigley & Sons, estate agents
John Williams, beer retailer
Woburn Sands Men’s Club (J. McMurtrie, secretary)
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (G. H. Taylor, secretary)
Woburn Sands Village Institute (Joseph John Scrivener, secretary)
Marjory Lily (Miss). L. L. C. M. teacher of music, Trelawn
Wooding & Edgington, fishmongers, High Street
George William Young, builder

The Station, Woburn Sands
The Station, from a postcard used in 1915

Aspley Heath
Private Residents

Rev. Percy Riddell Allnut, Edgebury
Anderson, Miss, Ivy Lawn
Arthur Thomas Bailey, Forest Hurst
Alfred H. Beeching, The Mount
Bromley, Mrs., Aspley Heath House
James Charles Cleghorn, Brackenside
Greenstreet, Miss, Homewood
Edward Hart, Glenside
Robert Rymer Hinge, Fairview
Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort M. A. The Knoll
Jones, Mrs. Howell, Pine Cottage
Miller, Miss, Velindre
Palmer, Miss, Glyndon
Alfred William Pettit, Croyland
Thomas Duncan Phillips, Woodlands
Arthur Charles Plater, Silverbirch
Spinney, Mrs, Melbury
Turney, Miss, The Limes
Rev. Henry George Watson M.A. The Wilderness
Wilkinson, Miss, Hillside
Woods, Miss, Firdale
Charles Henry Wynn, Orchard Cottage

Susannah Baker (Miss), furnished apartments, suitable for invalids, close to church, pine woods & golf links, Montrose
Frederick Bowler, apartments, Heath View
Janet Louisa Braidwood (Miss), apartments, Carron Villa
Humphrey James Brown, dairyman
Edward N. Ching artificial teeth maker (attends thurs)
John Cowell, beer retailer
Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives (Miss Rose Jacob, honourary secretary; Miss Helen M. Brown, matron)
Fuller Mining Co., fuller’s earth manufacturers
William George Griggs, assistant land agent
Edward Hart esq., Thornbank
Alwyn Edward A. Hudson, plumber
Julia Hudson (Mrs.), milliner
Knoll Preparatory School for Boys (Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort M.A. proprietor), The Knoll
William Linger, grocer
Hannah Esther Mann (Mrs.), apartments, Pinewood
Harry Seabrook, beer retailer
Charles William Stiles, apartments, The Ferns
John Paul Summerley, joiner, Melbourne
Training Home for Girls (Miss Greenstreet, matron)
Fred Tyers, apartments, Southwood

Aspley Guise
Aspley Guise formerly a town, is a parish and well-built village, a mile and a half from the Woburn Sands station of the London and North Western railway, 52½ miles from London by rail and 44 by road, 2 north-by-west from Woburn and 12 south-west from Bedford, in the Southern division of the country, hundred of Manshead, Woburn petty sessional division, Ampthill union, Leighton Buzzard county court district, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeanery of Bedford and diocese of St Albans.  The water works and pumping station, in Aspley lane, were opened on June 8th, 1911, by the Duke of Bedford, K.G. Water is obtained from a bore 50 feet deep, whence it is pumped a distance of 2¾ miles to the reservoir at Aspley Heath, which has a storage capacity of 380,000 gallons and supplies the townships of Aspley Guise, Aspley Heath and Woburn Sands. The church of St Botolph is an elegant building in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of a chancel, with organ chamber and vestry on the north, and a small chapel on the south, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles and containing a clock and 6 bells; the south aisle was added and the whole fabric greatly enlarged and restored through the exertions and almost at the sole expense, as well as under the superintendence, of the Rev. J. Vaux Moore, formerly rector; all the windows, twenty-eight in number, are stained; there is a memorial window in the vestry to H.R.H. the Prince Consort, placed in 1862, and three memorial windows in the south side to the Moore family; in the north aisle is an altar tomb , with fine brass effigy of a knight in plate armour, worn over a hauberk, to one of the Guise family, circ. 1501, from whom the village derives its adjunct; there is also an ancient slab, from which a florinated cross and marginal inscriptions are lost, but at the foot are figures in brass of a priest kneeling and St John the Baptist standing, c.1410, and there is a tomb with life-sized effigy in stone to Sir William de Tyrington, 1408-9; another marble monument is to the Rev J. V. Moore; the pulpit is richly carved in oak, representing the principle incidents in the life of Our Lord; the church was restored in 1855, and in 1884 the upper portion of the tower was rebuilt at a cost of £150 and a new peal of 6 bells hung at a cost of £400; the organ was enlarged in 1897, at a cost of £350; in 1890 the church was entirely restored, an organ chamber, vestries and chapel erected, and the interior reseated at a total cost of £2,200; there are sittings for 325 persons. the burying ground has been increased by the addition of an acre, situated on the opposite side of the road, the gift of the Rev. H. R Moody, late lord of the manor: The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £200, including 86 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford and held since 1880 by the Rev. James Chadwick Maltby M.A. of Keble College, Oxford. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. A new Parish Hall was erected in 1902 at a cost of about £1,700, and will hold about 250 persons; it is available for concerts and public meetings, and has a reading room and other additions for the use of the parishioners. The village of Aspley is very beautifully situated on and below a range of sand hills, which rise to a height of about 420 feet above the level of the sea, commanding very extensive views of the surrounding country; it is much frequented as a place of residence by visitors during the summer season, who find accommodation in good and quiet lodgings. The atmosphere is dry and salubrious, and the temperature equable. Adjoining the village are large plantations of firs and evergreens, to the growth of which the soil is peculiarly adapted; some of the holly hedges are nearly thirty feet in height, and upwards of 150 years old. Golf links, of 9 holes, were laid out in 1914. Avenue Lodge is the residence of J. Gregory White esq. M.D.; Aspley House, the residence of Mrs Villiers Downes J.P. was built about 1690 from designs, it is said, of Sir Christopher Wren; nearly all the rooms are panelled throughout, and the house contains some fine portraits of the Hervey and Chernocke families. The Old House, built in 1575 and since restored, is now the residence of G. Herbert Fowler esq. B.A., Ph.D. The Rookery, the residence of The Misses Studley Westoby, occupies a high position, with charming views. Oaklands, the residence of Mrs. Dymond, commands a lovely view of Woburn and its park. The Duke of Bedford, K.G., E. Woolaston Moody esq. who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Villiers Downes, Sir Henry Hugh Arthur Hoare bart. John Gregory White M.D. Stanley Harris esq J.P. and the rector are chief landowners. The soil is sand on the hills and clay in the lower parts of the parish; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 1,896 acres of land and 3 of water; rateable value £7,032; the population in 1911 was; civil 1,277; ecclesiastical 1,072. The ecclesiastical parish of Woburn Sands has been formed partly out of this parish and partly out of Wavendon, Bucks, and will be found under a separate heading.

Sexton and verger, Thomas William Brown.

POST, M.O. & T. Office (letters should have Beds added) Sydney James Chisnall, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Bletchley at 4.42 a.m. and 12.35 and 5.10 p.m.; dispatched 9.55 & 11.55 a.m. & 4.25, 8 & 10 .20p.m.; Sundays arrive at 4.42 a.m. dispatched at 7.30 p.m. Sunday, open from 8.30 a.m. to 10 a.m. for sale of stamps & telegraph business.
Wall Letter Boxes, Duke Street, cleared at 12 noon & 2.45 & 5.30 p.m. & Mount Pleasant, cleared at 9 a.m. & 11.45 a.m. & 7.20 p.m. Sunday 9.20 a.m.
Pillar Letter Boxes – Mentone Avenue, cleared at 8 a.m. & 1.15 a.m. 5.45 p.m. & Grasmere, cleared at 8.35 a.m. and 1.20 & 5.30 p.m.
Council School (mixed & infants) built about 1850, for 199 children; George H. Taylor, master
Conveyances – Omnibus from Aspley Guise, to & from Woburn Sands station, meeting all trains.

Joseph Rice, from Woburn Sands to Leighton & Woburn, tues.
Walter Barker, from Woburn Sands to Bedford, sat.; & to Newport Pagnell, tues and fri.


Misses Bagnall, The Mount
John Gilbert Bradder, Mentone Ave
Henry Wim. Brigden, West Hill house
Miss Burrell, The Laurels
Mrs. Crisp, Wood lane
Mrs. Villiers Downes, Aspley house
Mrs. Dymond, Oaklands
Miss. Farmer, Firdale
Edward Fisher, Woburn lane
Miss Fitzroy, Fir bank, Wood lane
Herbert Fowler B.A. Ph.D, The Old house
Mrs. Foyster, Guise house
Stanley Harris J.P., Woodside
Samuel Higgins, Braystone house
Rev. H. Hardy Holder(Congregational) The Warden, Mentone ave
Mrs. Huntriss, Wednesden
Mrs. Kennedy, Ivy cottage
Mrs. Lasbrey, Woodside
Miss Laws, Grasmere
Mrs. Laws, Inglewood
Miss Livingstone, Lismore
Mrs. Macfarlane, The Shrubbery
Arthur McIntire, Woodside
Miss McIntire, White cottage
Rev. James Chadwick Maltby M.A. (rector & rural dean) The Rectory
Charles Harrison Martyn, The Lawn
John Marshall Miles, Larchfield
John Gawler Mills, Belbroughton
Charles Minter, Caxton house
Harry Mordaunt, The Lodge
Thomas Preston, Woodside
Joseph Henry Renton, Woodcote
Crosbie Rolls, Malting close
Miss Samson, Rostherne
Col. R. A. Sargeaunt (late R.E.), Westridge
Arnold Shaw, Grove house
Mrs. B. Chernocke Smith, The Cottage
Mrs. Spencer Smith, Crosswood
Miss Swaine, Woodside cottage
Miss Timmins, Holly cottage
Miss Veasey, Chain house
James Croxton Walker, The Holt
Miss Walker, Pine ridge
Henry Bernard West, Woodville
The Misses Studley Westoby, The Rookery
Gregory J. White M.D., The Avenue
Rev. Josiah Edward Whydale, The Old Rectory
Surtees George Wilkinson, Sillwood
Howard Williams, The Haven, Mount Pleasant


Herbert Ash, grocer
Aspley Guise, Aspley Heath & Woburn Sands Drainage & Water Supply (James Todd, engineer); office, Duke Street
Aspley Guise Rifle Club (G. F. White, sec.)
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Gas Light & Coke Co. Ltd (Hy. Boon, sec)
Charles Alfred Barnwell, baker, corn, flour, poultry & chicken food merchant, Pine Grove bakery, Bedford Rd.
George Stephen Barnwell, farmer, Berry Lane farm
James Brandon Barnwell, butcher
Elizabeth Bennett (Mrs.) apartments, Hazelmere, West hill
Brown Brothers, farmers, Rectory farm
Frederick Brown, bootmaker
Thomas William Brown, boot maker
John Cave, dairyman
Sydney James Chisnall, saddler, Post office
John Cooper, farmer, Hayfield farm
Charlotte Crabb (Mrs.), apartments, Woodside
Thomas William Crute, grocer, Mount Pleasant
Day & Co., grocers
Thomas Day, builder & undertaker
Frederick Denton, butcher
Albert Newman Evans, grocer
Mark Fleete, builder, Mount Pleasant
Emily Fryer, cowkeeper
Frederick Fryer, assistant overseer & clerk to the Parish Council
John William Goodall, baker
Mrs. Mary Grace, servants’ registry office, Mount Pleasant
John H. Hines, omnibus proprietor
The Holt Residential Hotel (James Croxton Walker, proprietor). T.N. 9 Woburn Sands
John Kemp & Co. Ltd, printers
George William Kilpin, beer retailer
Thomas Lack, Wheatsheaf inn, Mount Pleasant
Andrew Lane, Red Lion P. H.
Harry Lane, farm bailiff to Thomas Waite esq. Crabb Tree farm
William Lane, beer retailer
William H. Line, farmer, Aspley Hall farm (letters thro’ Woburn Sands)
Claude Mackenzie, Bell P.H.
Mrs. Carrie Masters, dress maker Mount Pleasant
George Maynard, gardener to Mrs. Villiers Downs
John Millard, farmer, Manor farm
The Powage Press Ltd., printers (Charles Minter, sec)
Miss Elizabeth Rich, grocer
Zirah Shildjain, commercial traveller, The Pines, Mount Pleasant
Albert Sibley, gardener to G. H. Fowler esq., The Avenue
Charles Sinfield & Sons, builders, contractors, joiners, plumbers, hot water and sanitary engineers, decorators, undertakers, wheelwrights & general smiths T. N. 17 Woburn Sands (Book has an advertisement)
South Bedfordshire Branch of the R.S.P.C.A. (Miss V. Studley Westoby, hon. sec.), The Rookery
James Croxton Walker, residential hotel, & farmer, The Holt T.N. 9 Woburn Sands
John Warrick, tobacconist
Harry Young, dairyman
Page last updated Aug. 2021.