The Woburn Sands & Aspley Heath sections from Kellys Trade Directory of 1920:

Woburn Sands is a parish on the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1867, and comprises the civil parish of Aspley Heath and part of the parish of Aspley Guise. By Local Government Board Order, dated 27th December, 1906, that part of Wavendon formerly in this parish was detached from it. The parish is in the Buckingham division of the county, Woburn petty sessional division, Newport Pagnell union, Leighton Buzzard county court district, in the rural deanery of Fleete, Bedford arch­deaconry and St. Albans diocese. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, 12 miles south­west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley, 2½ north-west from Woburn and 50 from London; it is 44 miles from London by road. Water and sewage works at Aspley Guise were opened on June 8th, 1911, by the Duke of Bedford K. G. The new reservoir at Bow Brickhill Heath will hold 380,000 gallons of water. The church of St. Michael, at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of chancel, nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged, from designs by the late Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A., F. S. A. at a cost of £2,400 when the chancel was added and transept and organ chambers and vestries built on the north side: an oak pulpit with stone base has been presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A. was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. and E. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £166, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford K. G., K. B. E. and held since 1913 by the Rev. John Shelton. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels and a Friends’ meeting house. The Village Institute, built in 1874 at a cost of about £800, stands near the centre of the parish; it has a library of upwards of 800 volumes, and is used for concerts and other village purposes. Six almshouses were erected by the late Frederick W. Down in 1902 for aged people of the parish. The Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives was opened on June 25th, 1903 and is pleasantly situated in the parish of Aspley Heath. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. The principal landowners are the Duke of Bedford K. G., K. B. E. and Alfred Allnutt esq. The area is 1,400 acres, including 600 acres for Aspley Heath; about 450 acres is woodland; assessable value, £5,523; the population in 1911 was 1,086 in the civil parish and 1,867 in the ecclesiastical parish, which extends into Bedfordshire.

Parish Clerk, Henry Hebbes.

Post, M. O. & T. & T. E. D. Office, Woburn Sands (letters should have Beds added) – John Pikesley, sub-postmaster.

Wall Letter Boxes. North End; Church wall; Daneswood; Sinfleld Terrace & Station Road

Council School (mixed & infants), erected in 1868, at the cost of the 9th Duke of Bedford, for 260 children. In 1889 a new infants’ school, adjoining the old buildings, was built at the cost of Francis, Duke of Bedford K. G. for 120 children. The mixed school was enlarged in 1897 at a cost of £1,110; the schools now hold 500 children; Ernest Adam Dean, head master; Miss H. Cheetham, infants’ mistress. Also an Intermediate Evening school, held from September to March, & is now (1920) being attended by about 30 to 40 students; Ernest Adam Dean, principal.

Railway Station, William Voss Clarke, station master

Carriers to:- Bedford – William Linger, wed. & sat; Newport Pagnell – William Linger, tue

Private Residents

Arthur E. Adeney, I. S. O. Gorselands
Harold Gwynne Allen, The Dene
Kevin Armstrong, Mrs.
Atkins, Miss, Epworth Villa
Benjamin Barker, Lime Villa
Major Francis Marshall Bassett, Hillside
Rev. Wilfred Gordon Baynham B. D. Langley, Aspley Road
William Henry Bazley, Ashfield
Major George Weston Bond, D. S. O., Stourhead Lodge
Thomas Bowler, Rushmere
Arthur Boyes, Theydon Lodge
Charles Brown, Dengarth
Barney, Miss, Eaton Lodge
Cautley, Miss, Oakley
Chapman Mrs. Theydon Avenue 
Robert A. Cheetham, Stoke Albany

"I said, stand still..!"
The work of Robert Cheetham, photographer. (Sadly, the subjects are not named)

John Clark, Merton House
Thomas Owen Cliff, The Haven
John Coles, Theydon Avenue
Frederick Harris Day, Aspley Villa
Ernest Adam Dean, Enstone, Station Road
Ernest Muir Henham, Woodfield
Farmbrough, Mrs., 2 The Terrace
Featherstonhaugh, Mrs., Prospect Villa
Herman Gaskoin, Mrs., Greenwood Cottage
Alfred Harris Goodman, The Briars,
Frederick Gough, Elm Lodge
Henry Edmund Grace, Ash Villa, Wood Street
Elton L. Gueritz, Lyncroft
Albert Hurdy, St. Deny’s
Francis Higgins, The Cedars
Rt. Rev. & Ven. Edward Noel Hodges, D. D. (assistant Bishop of Street Albans Archdeacon of Bedford), Sandymount
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D
Irving, Miss, Hardwicke Road
Jackson, Miss., Theydon Avenue
William Henry Berkley Jones, Claremont
Nicholas Kestell, Theydon Avenue
Linnell. Mrs., Woodford
Moore, Mrs., Clifton Villa
Morris, Miss., Theydon Avenue
Charles Mould, Sarum
Mowbray, Mrs. Hardwicke House
Murray, Misses., The Cottage, Aspley Hill
William Needham, Avenue Lodge
Pain, Miss, Woodlands
Payne, Mrs., Glengyle
Perkins,  Mrs., Wroxhill
Captain Herbert Pugh, York Cottage
Rawes, Mrs., Hardwicke
Rawlins, Mrs., Haydon House
Thomas Howard Redfern, Athenry
Charles Edward Sanders, Sancroft
Sergeant, Mrs., 1 The Terrace
Rev. John Shelton (vicar), Vicarage
Arthur Simms, Ferndale
Sydney Arthur Smith, Heatherlea
Rev. Charles Dashwood Snell, M. A., Lydbrook
George Spreckley, Station Road
John Charles Tarver, Brookside, Theydon Avenue
Thompson, Mrs., Eastcote
Frederick Tomlin, Eversleigh, Wood Street
Tuck Miss, North Holt
Major Robert J. Turner, Loke House
John Turney, Hazelhurst, Theydon Avenue
James Croxton Walker, Ashleigh
John Wilcox-Edge, The Laurels
Frederick Wingrave, Bickenhall

Sausages for dinner...
One of the local butchers

Commercial Early closing day, Wednesday.
George Alexander, Fir Tree Hotel
Noah Ambrose, shopkeeper
Thomas Walter Appleby, smith, Station Road
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Golf Club Ltd. (The) (George, Barnard West, secretary)
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Rose & Sweet Pea Society (Charles Mould, secretary)
Walter Bailey, contractor, Station Road
Barclays Bank Ltd. bankers (sub-branch), open on monday & friday 10.30 a.m. to 1.30p.m.; draw on head office, 54 Lombard Street E C 3
John G. Barton, coal & corn merchant
Ernest Frank Bathurst, chemist, High Street
Thomas Bawden, auctioneer &c. see Foll & Bawden
Benskin’s Watford Brewery Limited (branch), brewers
Wilkie Bliss, coal merchant, Railway station
Bowen & Co., timber merchants, Kensington timber mills
Arthur Boyes, boot maker
William Charles Byway, picture frame maker
Elizabeth Cattell, (Mrs.), boot & shoe maker
Farrell Page Chapman, draper
Robert A. Cheetham, assistant overseer; office, High Street
Tom Aubrey Chester, horse dealer, Horsegrove
Walter Chibnall (Mrs.), upholstress, Aspley Road
G. B. Clarke manufacturer of D. Clarke’s carbolized wheat protector
William Voss Clarke, station master
Mary Agnes Coleman, (Miss), confectioner
Alice Collins (Miss), news agent
E. Collins (Miss), shopkeeper, 4 The Leys
William George Cooper, dairyman, Theydon Avenue
Sidney Crawley, butcher, Station Road
William Davies, greengrocer, Aspley Hill
Oliver Davis, shopkeeper, Station Road
Walter George Day, tailor, Chapel Street
Reginald Herbert Dennis, cycle agent, Station Road
Ellen Dovey (Mrs.), fancy repository
Erasmus George Dover, watch & clock maker, see Emms & Dovey
Dudeney & Johnston Limited, grocers & provision merchants
Dudley & Sons, brick & tile manufacturers
Albert Dunkley, grocer
Jane Durrant (Miss), dress maker
Eastman’s Limited, butchers
Eastwoods Ltd, brick works. See advertisement
William Henry Elliott, grocer
Emms & Dovey, watch & clock makers
Arthur Blake Farmer, firewood dealer
Fanny Featherstonhaugh (Mrs.), rope & twine manufacturer, Station Road
Foll & Bawden, auctioneers, estate agents, surveyors & valuers (Telegrams, “Foll” Telephone No. 9); & at Bletchley
Wallace Arthur Foll, P. A. S. I., auctioneer &c. see Foll & Bawden
Charles Franklin, coal merchant, Station Road
John Gardner, boot & shoe maker, Aspley Hill
Henry Giles & Son, lath renders
George Gravette, tea rooms
David Hallworth, boot & shoe maker
Thomas Hallworth, boot maker, Hardwicke Place
Frederick Arthur Hammond, saddler & harness maker
Alfred Hanscombe, jobbing gardener, Russell Villas
William Harrington, draper
Henry Hayter, apartments, Harefield Cottage
David Henman, decorator, Wood Street
Holmes, Phillips & Thompson, surgeons
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D., C. M., Edinburgh, surgeon & medical officer No. 8 district, Newport Pagnell union (firm, Holmes, Phillips & Thompson); & at Woburn
Sarah Ann Holmes (Mrs.), greengrocer
Imperia Limited, electro medical apparatus manufacturers, Imperia works
Imperia Manufacturing Co., electro medical apparatus manufacturers, Imperia works
William Henry Inwood, outfitter
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
William Janes, watch maker, Station Road
William Kent, builder, Aspley Hill
Edward Last, coach builder, Russell Street
Leslie Leigh-Lancaster, boot maker
Amy Linford (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Elizabeth Linnell (Mrs.), laundress, Haddon House
London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Limited (sub-branch), open on mondays & fridays 10.30a.m. to 1.30p.m. (J. H. T. Chick, manager); draw on 41 Lothbury, London E C 2
James McMurtrie, house furnisher
Frederick Marsh, tobacconist
Edwin Martin, Weathercock Public House
National Deposit (Approved) Friendly Society (W. H. Peavis, secretary)
Harriet Newling (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Horace Bernard Partridge, baker
Alfred Payne, apartments, Russell Villas
Fred Pikesley, motor engineer, High Street
John Pikesley, stationer, Post Office
Pleasant & Summerford, drapers, High Street
George E. Popple, ironmonger
John Walter Pratt, butcher
Thomas Howard Redfern, solicitor, Athenry
Rice Brothers, blacksmiths & jobmasters
Nellie Roe (Mrs.), dress maker Aspley Road
Tom Rolfe, insurance agent, Russell Street
Maria Russell, (Mrs.) apartments, Aspley Road
Henry C. H. Sanders, Swan Hotel
Joseph John Scrivener, cycle maker
Joseph Slapoffski, photographer, Hardwicke Place
W.  H. Smith & Son, news agents
John Smith, Station Hotel
South Bedfordshire Branch of the R. S. P. C. A. (Woburn Sands branch) (Miss M. Gaskoin, honorary secretary) Greenwood Cottage
Edward Squire, cabinet maker, Russell Street
Christine Summerford (Miss), draper, see Pleasant & Summerford
Simon Supperstein, shopkeeper
George Tansley, glass & china dealer
Susan E. Tansley, (Mrs.), grocer
John P. Thickpenny, pianoforte dealer
Mary Ann Thompson (Miss), apartments
Elizabeth Jane Tompkins (Mrs.), apartments, The Terrace
Thomas Tompkins, coal, corn, seed & forage merchant, Railway station; & at Woburn & Railway station, Ridgmont
William Brown Toogood, general draper
Annie Tull (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Albert Edward Tyers, plumber, Wood Street
Annie Elizabeth Whitbread (Mrs.), tobacconist, Station Road
Walter Whitlock, chimney sweeper
Charles S. Whitmee, dairyman, Wood Street
Frank Wilkins, photographer, Station Road
Madeline Williams (Mrs.), beer retailer
Charles Willmott, golf professional, Aspley Road
Woburn Sands Men’s Club (J. McMurtrie, secretary)
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (G. H. Taylor, secretary)
Woburn Sands Village Institute (Joseph John Scrivener, secretary)
Lily Marjory Wodhams (Miss) L. L. C. M., teacher of music, Trelawn
Joseph Wooding, fishmonger, High Street
George William Young, builder


The Aspley Heath section from Kellys Trade Directory of 1920:

Aspley Heath is a civil parish formed by Local Government Board Order 15,338, dated 24 June1883. By Order 18,187, dated March 25, 1885, part of Wavendon, in Bucks, was added to it. The parish is in the Mid division of the county, Woburn petty sessions division and Ampthill union. It forms part of the Woburn Sands ecclesiastical parish. The church of St. Michael was erected in 1868. For particulars see Woburn Sands. The area is 600 acres; rateable value, £2,553; the population in 1911 was 572, including 33 in the Daneswood Sanatorium.

Wall letter box, near church.

Private Residents:
Arthur Thomas Bailey, Forest Hurst
Misses Bennett, Ivy Dene
Mrs. Brewer, Heath View
Mrs. Bromley, Aspley Heath house
James Charles Cleghorn, Brackenside
Edward Hart, J.P., Glenside
John Hill, Hill view
Robert Rymer Hinge, Fairview
Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort M.A., The Knoll
Mrs. Howell Jones, Pine cottage
Mrs. Miller, Velindre
Harry Page, Silverbirch
Miss Palmer, Glyndon
Alfred William Pettit, Croyland
Thomas Duncan Phillips, Woodlands
Harold Clarke Saxby, The Bungalow
Mrs. Spinney, Melbury
Mrs. Tresnon, The Limes
Rev. Henry George Watson M.A., The Wilderness
Miss Wilkinson, Hilside
Miss Woods, Firdale
Charles Henry Wynn, Orchard cottage
John Arthur Zair M.A., Pinewood

Miss Susannah Baker, apartments, Montrose
Miss Janet Louisa Braidwood, apartments Carron villa
John Cowell, beer retailer
Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives (Miss Rose Jacob, Hon. sec.; Miss Helen M. Brown, matron)
Annie Farmer, apartments
William George Griggs, assistant land agent to Edward Hart esq., Thornbank
Mrs. Hollingsworth, apartments, The Garden house
A. Hudson & Sons, plumbers
Mrs. Julia Hudson, milliner
Knoll Preparatory School for Boys (Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort M.A. & John Arthur Zair M.A. proprietors), The Knoll
William Linger, grocer & carrier
Charles William Stiles, apartments, The Ferns
John Paul Summerley, joiner, Melbourne
Fred Tyers, apartments, Southwood

Page last updated Aug. 2021.